Science Industry Week
Starting your career can be a daunting task, so the team at CS Executive Group decided we would create a resource guide with everything we think will help you take the first step in the right direction.
To help Job Seekers glide their way through all the hoops they must jump through when chasing a new career opportunity, we created the Job Seekers Resource Guide. a Step-by-step guide/checklist that ensures you are presenting your best self when applying for a job.
Find useful tools that will help you with writing the perfect resume, structuring your LinkedIn profile, and Interviewing the right way.
Your resume is probably THE most important thing to get right when applying for a job. It gives recruiters and hiring managers a snapshot of you as a person, and your experience, skills, and whether or not you should be shortlisted for the role.
To give yourself the best chance of making it to round 2, you need to make sure your resume is easy to read and flows nicely from start to finish, and this Resume template will help you do exactly that. Just fill in the blanks with relevant information that pertains to the job you are applying for, and you should have a head start on most of the other candidates who have applied as well.
Another tool you can use is My Perfect Resume, which is an online resume builder and a fantastic place to start when crafting your resume. Following their step-by-step process allows you to select a template, input all of your information, and then download your new resume in a format ready to be submitted for job applications. Furthermore, when you’re stuck with what to write My Perfect Resume has built-in statements, skills and more that will help you fill in any gaps, which are categorised by sector/industry.
Although My Perfect Resume helps with the structure and flow of your resume, you do still need to be sure to do the following steps when piecing it all together: –
My Perfect Resume Steps
– When selecting the template for your resume, CS Executive Group highly recommends opting for the “Executive”. Although it isn’t perfect, this template is as close as you’re going to get without having to build one for yourself.
- Complete your Resume heading
– Be sure to include the suburb you live in. Doing so may make you a more attractive applicant for jobs that are located close to you; it won’t hinder your chances for jobs that are in different locations, as you can highlight your willingness to relocate elsewhere in your resume.
- Employment History
– This is where you can really start to make a statement. When filling in your employment history, use metrics to provide tangibility to the successes you achieved within each role. It is also a good idea to highlight any skills and/or responsibilities relevant to the position you are applying for.
– This is a section of a resume that job seekers often undervalue. Due to the implementation of resume scanning software, such as ATS and keyword search, recruiters and employers may only be reading your resume if a skill or keyword they have flagged was located within your resume somewhere.
This is why reading the job description carefully, doing a bit of research on the position, and then adding in the skills you have that are relevant to the job you’re applying for into this section of your resume—giving yourself the best chance of not being overlooked.
- Professional Summary
– Your sales pitch: this section is your opportunity to really sell yourself by creating a career overview geared towards the job you are applying for. This can be challenging, so you’ll appreciate My Perfect Resume having plenty of examples which you can draw from then edit to match your background.
Nothing is more impressive than having in-depth knowledge and understanding of industry news and trends when networking or meeting potential employers, and with the food and Science Technology industries constantly going through rapid change, these reports we picked up from Accenture highlights the new realities both industries will be facing in the coming years, and what that means to organisations and the community as a whole.
We think these reports are a fantastic read that will give you insight into different areas of each industry that you may not have explored previously in your studies.
Career Success Articles
Sometimes, landing the job of your dreams as a graduate comes down to more than just how good your grades were and where you have completed your work experience. The following articles may help you discover some other skills and ideas that will give you the edge when applying for a job.