Our client is a not-for-profit, highly respected Biomedical Research Facility with more than 100 staff. Committed to improving the health and life-expectancy of people, their research focuses on treating and preventing various diseases from diabetes to cancer. The facilities are modern, quite large and are based near Melbourne’s CBD.
Due to internal movement, our client requires a hands-on, technically minded Manager to maintain this state-of-the-art, biomedical research facility. The successful candidate will have a can-do attitude and will ensure all the laboratories, equipment, buildings and associated resources continue to function safely and at an optimal level.
Some of your responsibilities will include:
- The monitoring and maintenance of the facility’s buildings and grounds, infrastructure, laboratories, equipment, research platforms and core services to ensure compliance with operational guidelines and standards.
- Coordination of the selection, installation, commissioning or de-commissioning of equipment.
- Troubleshooting infrastructure and equipment faults in specialised laboratory environments – repair where possible or engage external contractors to ensure minimal downtime.
- Engaging internal or external service providers as appropriate for major works or high-level technical support.
- Overseeing autoclaves, liquid nitrogen, radiation, bio-safety cabinet and IBC training for researchers.
- Input to the procurement process for laboratory supplies, including guidance on the selection, procurement and handling of sensitive chemicals and biological materials.
- Maintaining up-to-date records of Facility management contracts, Equipment Register/Inventory, and maintenance and modification activities.
- Obtaining, administering and overseeing the following licences and permits:
- Drugs and Poisons Licence
- Scientific Procedures Premises License
- AQIS Permits for shipping
To be short-listed for this responsible role, you will need to meet the following criteria:
- Degree or Diploma in Science, Engineering or similar
- Extensive experience working in a scientific environment in a hands-on role, with a detailed understanding of laboratory processes
- High level of technical and practical knowledge of building infrastructure and scientific equipment
- Ability to diagnose building and technical faults and to repair or trouble-shoot faulty standard laboratory equipment
- Experience in the implementation and oversight of chemical and biological safety practices, including hazard and risk identification and management
- Experience in administrative procedures, with excellent record-keeping and inventory control practice
- Highly developed computer literacy, particularly using the Microsoft Office suite of applications, database/records management systems and web technology, including the ability to learn and adopt new software packages as required
- Prior experience in supervising staff
- A keen interest in operational management
- Ability to blend the technical demands of building services with managerial responsibilities;
- Excellent interpersonal and negotiation skills, with an ability to work confidently and cooperatively with a broad range of stakeholders
- Commitment to high standards of customer service
- Strategic thinker with high-level organisational skills to inform, self-manage, prioritise, initiate and coordinate projects
- High standard of verbal and written communication skills
- Capable of manual work
- Willingness to respond to after-hours emergencies and to undergo police check
Please click the ‘Apply Now’ button to submit your application. Please ensure you attach a Resume and Cover Letter in Word Format addressing the full selection criteria.
If you would like to know more about this unique opportunity please call our team at CS Executive Group on 03 9516 0100. After hours you can call Helen on 0438 620 434.
We would like to thank you for taking the time to apply for this role. Unfortunately, due to the large volume of applications we receive daily, we cannot contact all candidates. Please note, if you are not successful on this occasion, your resume will remain on our database and you may be contacted for other similar roles in the future.