Our client is a global multinational company with businesses that specialise in a variety of areas including chemicals and agrochemicals. Based in the western suburbs of Melbourne, this business unit is focused on providing solutions for microbial control in a wide variety of end-use applications. These include disinfection and sterilisation of medical devices; preservation of paints, adhesives, metalworking fluids and cosmetics; treatment of large scale water process systems such as cooling water, pulp & paper and oilfields; and development of materials resistant to mould and bacteria.
This position is initially a contract with the view to permanency. The successful candidate will be based in a Biosafety Level 2 Laboratory and will be responsible for providing technical support to clients who use biocides to control or prevent microbial growth in their products.
This support is mainly microbiological testing in nature however, every now and then, you will be required to test the content of biocide material in end-use product using HPLC. Technologists need to demonstrate independence and proficiency in performing routine procedures. The applicant is expected to have sufficient knowledge and creativity to execute innovative ad-hoc projects.
The candidate is required to be proficient and excel in the following techniques with minimal guidance:
- familiar with spectrophotometers and titrations
- bacterial culture preparation
- aseptic techniques
Other responsibilities will include:
- Contribute to the overall maintenance and effectiveness of the Microbiology Lab. Inventories and supplies, including proper storage, maintenance, and transferring of microorganisms along with routine tasks such as preparing sterile microbiological culture media, buffers, equipment maintenance and the safe disposal of lab waste.
- Ability to follow standard test methods and, where appropriate, identify potential improvements or modifications to those test methods.
- Responsible for working closely with Project Leaders and managing, then safely executing laboratory work requests, maintaining and running relevant laboratory apparatus and testing equipment and documenting data in a timely and accurate manner.
- Understands the value of high quality data and utilises Good Laboratory Practices (or equivalent) to generate such data. Accurately and reliably records readings and observations using relevant equipment, instruments and, where appropriate, software.
- Understands and communicates scientific observations to project team or principle investigator and uses those observations skills to identify trends and anomalies in the data.
- Organises and prepares data tables, charts and graphs where appropriate to present data collected in studies supported.
- Independently interprets data and prepares summaries of work and results to be included in reports and presents this data in a timely manner.
- Position may also require conducting on-site plant audit for customers, locally or even overseas, when necessary.
- Proactively evaluates and revises procedures to improve efficiency, effectiveness, or safety. Makes proposals and recommendations for equipment/systems modifications.
- Takes personal responsibility for EH&S compliance within the team or work group
- Able to demonstrate independence and proficiency in performing routine procedures. The applicant is expected to have sufficient knowledge and creativity to execute innovative ad-hoc projects.
- B.Sc. degree in Biological Sciences, Biochemistry or Chemistry and at least 2 years working experience in a laboratory setting. The laboratory experience should include predominantly microbiological testing with some analytical chemistry testing in, preferably, an industrial or institutional R&D environment.
- Candidates equipped with research skills evidenced by authorship in peer reviewed publication, or having an honours year qualification will be preferred.
- It is essential that you are proficient with standard Microsoft Office software, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- An understanding of HPLC based software systems (Agilent ChemStation) will be advantageous.
- Strong understanding and commitment to your own safety and that of others.
- Proficient at developing and presenting data in a timely and accurate manner.
- Demonstrated attention to detail and accuracy along with time management and organisational capacity.
- Strong interpersonal skills, with demonstrated commitment to teamwork and collaboration
To apply for this exciting role, please click the ‘Apply Now’ button to submit your application. Please ensure you attach a Resume and Cover Letter in Word Format addressing the full selection criteria. We require someone to start ASAP so please feel free to call our office on 03 9516 0100 to discuss your suitability.
We would like to thank you for taking the time to apply for this role. Unfortunately, due to the large volume of applications we receive daily, we cannot contact all candidates. Please note, however, if you are not successful on this occasion, your resume will remain on our database and you may be contacted for other similar roles.